- our court case, Ypsilanti v. Thomason has been postponed for a couple of weeks. We continue to gather more information to strengthen our argument that we have a Right to Farm here in the city.
- our rabbitry continues to expand under the name "Mane Street Lionhead Rabbits." These wonderful little bunnies are amazing and, once the breed is officially recognized by ARBA (the American Rabbit Breeders Association) they will do very well. Right now the breed standards are still being developed since there is a fair amount of variation. We have about 35 currently and there are some real stars among them.
- our mini-Nubian kids are already 6 months old. We are looking for a home for two of the kids, the other two will remain with the older dams and become part of the dairy herd.
- our 43 ISA Brown hens are doing very well and we have experienced a steadily increasing demand for eggs over the summer.
- we have been blessed with some wonderful and much-needed help. Our dear neighbor Jil has become our rabbit wrangler and is leading the effort to tattoo all of the bunnies with their ear ID numbers. She has also been volunteering in many other capacities like milking goats, painting signs for the upcoming Tour de Fresh on September 16th(we are the 2nd stop on the tour) organized by Growing Hope http://www.growinghope.net/?gclid=CNj17fvA15UCFSIeDQodmEHUYQ
- we are giving a workshop on Saturday September 20th from 9 AM to 1 PM - also organized by Growing Hope - on Urban Livestock. Spots are still available so contact them to register.
- we started a number of new planting beds and grew quite a few varieties of organic garlic and potatoes in addition to our staple crops of Amish Paste and Sun Gold cherry tomatoes
- we planted 3 varieties of wine grapes
- we participated in the Ypsilanti Heritage Festival Parade again partnering with Growing Hope, The Ypsilanti Food Co-op, and Bike Ypsi - an alternative transportation initiative. We were extremely well received by the crowd and it was so much fun just to see people's faces light up as all of the animals came into view.
- we continue to meet neighbors who come over to see what is going on here or people who hear about us and just stop by to look and to see.
Blessings to you all,